We believe that most people would like to do positive
things, but often lack motivation
The A.L.P.H.A. Center has started a campaign to challenge individuals to
"Do Something Positive", on a regular basis.
"The Actively Learning Promoting Hoping Achieving Center"
The ALPHA Center, encourages EVERYONE to do something different that is positive each month. It won't cost you anything except to invest in positive change in ourselves and consequently our communities. WE NEED POSITIVE CHANGE.
The Following are programs provided by The ALPHA Center:
Do Something Positive
We believe that most people would like to do positive things, but often lack motivation and purpose. The A.L.P.H.A. Center has started a campaign to challenge individuals to "Do Something Positive", on a regular basis. There are monthly themes to follow such as October is "Do Something Creative" Month, November is "Do Something Kind", December is "Do Something Spiritual". MORE INFO...
The A.L.P.H.A. Book Center is a service provided for senior citizens with little or no access to popular books. We provide a list of books to choose from and deliver them to the residence. After they have read it, we exchange it for the next book on their list. What a wonderful way to keep up with the latest best sellers! MORE INFO...
The ALPHA Cultural Center is a educational and developmental program for the culturally challenged. These are people in our community who have not had nor taken the opportunity to visit some of the wonderful cultural centers in our area. Many are missing a most richly rewarding and informative experience by not taking advantage of these affordable and accessible institutions; Centers such as: The African American Museum in Philadelphia, The Philadelphia Museum of Art, The Balch Institute for Ethnic Studies, Eastern State Pentitentiary, and many others.
To achieve our goal we will:
- Develop a list of local cultural centers; Tri-State Area, (PA, NJ, DE) as well as Washington DC, Baltimore and New York City.
- Form a core group (10-12 persons), who will research and become proficiently knowledgeable of 1-2 centers each.
- This is done by visiting the centers, gathering all pertinent information about the cultural center and it’s surroundings (parking, rest rooms, restaurants, shopping); making contact with liaison from cultural center.
- Collect brochures, souvenirs, informational DVDs, websites, discounts, special tours, etc. to bring back to group.
- Meet for the next several weeks to discuss findings with each other in the group; each person giving presentation of the center they investigated.
- Certify each person in the group who has completed reviewing all presentations.
Next we will invite individuals who are culturally challenged to attend information sessions at our location. We will seek those with special circumstances such as unwed mothers, single parents, low income, newly weds, recently divorced widowed or separated, people new to the area, etc.
The members of our
core group will share the information about the cultural
center they researched in a presentation form, for a
specified period of time (i.e. 3 classes, one hour each).
Upon completion of the sessions, the individuals will
be certified as Culturally Aware and will be eligible
to participate on the field trips to the museums with
our group. If they prefer, they can and will be highly
encouraged to visit on their own or with members of